Our health & medical writer Dr Wendy van Zuijlen has a PhD in Immunology from the University of Queensland.
For the last 11 years, she has researched and written about health. As a result, she has the know-how to translate even your most complex health or medical project into clear content.
Contact her now for your unique health content.
Some recent examples of her health and medical writing:
Consumer health publications
- Wendy van Zuijlen. (2017) Five myths about mental health. The Waiting Room Australia.
- Wendy van Zuijlen. (2017) Seven ways to beat the winter blues. The Waiting Room Australia.
- Wendy van Zuijlen. (2017) Explainer: what's cytomegalovirus and why do pregnant women need to know about it. The Conversation.
- Wendy van Zuijlen. (2016) Osteoarthritis: sporting risks and myths. Arthritis Matters, Arthritis & Osteoporosis NSW.
- Wendy van Zuijlen. (2016) Fibromyalgia. Arthritis Matters, Arthritis & Osteoporosis NSW.
- Wendy van Zuijlen. (2016) What to do if you're anxious about giving birth. Health feature in Essential Baby.
- Wendy van Zuijlen. (2016) The virus most expecting mums haven't' heard of, but need to know about. Health feature in Essential Baby.
Publications for health professionals
- William D Rawlinson, Suresh B Boppana, Karen B Fowler, David W Kimberlin, Tiziana Lazzarotto, Sophie Alain, Kate Daly, Sara Doutré, Laura Gibson, Michelle L Giles, Janelle Greenlee, Stuart T Hamilton, Gail J Harrison, Lisa Hui, Cheryl A Jones, Pamela Palasanthiran, Mark R Schleiss, Antonia W Shand, Wendy J van Zuylen. (2017) Congenital cytomegalovirus infection in pregnancy and the neonate: consensus recommendations for prevention, diagnosis, and therapy. The Lancet Infectious Diseases. Jun;17 (6):e177-e188.
- Rawlinson WD, Hamilton S, van Zuylen WJ. (2016) Update on treatment of cytomegalovirus infection in pregnancy and of the newborn with congenital cytomegalovirus. Current Opinion Infectious Diseases. Sep 7.
- Naing ZW, Scott GM, Shand A, Hamilton ST, van Zuylen WJ, Basha J, Hall B, Craig ME, Rawlinson WD. (2015) Congenital Cytomegalovirus infection in pregnancy: A review of prevalence, clinical features, diagnosis, and prevention. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Sept 22.
- van Zuylen WJ, Hamilton ST, Naing Z, Hall B, Shand A, Rawlinson W. (2014) Congenital Cytomegalovirus Infection: Epidemiology, Diagnosis, and Prevention. Obstetric medicine, vol. 7, no.4, pp. 140-146.
- Wendy J van Zuylen, William D Rawlinson, Caroline E Ford. (2016) The Wnt pathway: a key network in cell signalling dysregulated by viruses. Reviews in Medical Virology. 2016 Jun 8.
- van Zuylen WJ (2015) Clinical and epidemiological features of congenital cytomegalovirus infection globally. Microbiology Australia, November edition.
- Hamilton ST, van Zuylen W, Shand A, Naing Z, Hall B, Craig ME, Rawlinson W. (2014) Prevention of Congenital Cytomegalovirus by Maternal and Neonatal Treatments: A systematic review. Reviews in Medical Virology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 420-4.
- Wendy van Zuijlen (2013) Cytomegalovirus and ageing of the immune system: a controversial cause of ageing. Microbiology Australia, Sept 34 (3): 157-159
Selected Research Articles
- van Zuylen WJ, Ford CE, Wong DY, Rawlinson WD. (2015) Human Cytomegalovirus Modulates Expression of non-canonical Wnt receptor ROR2 to Alter Trophoblast Migration. Journal of Virology, Nov 11; 90 (2): 1108.
- Doyon P*, van Zuylen WJ*, Servant MJ. (2013) The role of IkB Kinase-beta in the Growth-Promoting Effects of Angiotensin II In Vitro and In Vivo. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, Dec; 33 (12): 2850-7. (*co first authors)
- van Zuylen WJ*, Doyon P*, Clément JF*, Khan KA, D'Ambrosio LM, Dô F, St-Amant-Verret M, Wissanji T, Emery G, Gingras AC, Meloche S, Servant MJ. (2012) Proteomic profiling of the TRAF3 interactome network reveals a new role for the ER-to-Golgi transport compartments in innate immunity. PLoS Pathog, 8 (7): e1002747. (*co first authors) - ‘Faculty of 1000 recommended’
- van Zuylen WJ, Garceau V, Idris A, Schroder K, Irvine KM, Lattin JE, Ovchinnikov DA, Perkins AC, Cook AD, Hamilton JA, Hertzog PJ, Stacey KJ, Kellie S, Hume DA, Sweet MJ. (2011) Macrophage activation and differentiation signals regulate schlafen-4 gene expression: evidence for Schlafen-4 as a modulator of myelopoiesis. PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 1.
- Ovchinnikov DA*, van Zuylen WJ*, Debats CE, Alexander KA, Kellie S, Hume DA. (2008) Expression of Gal4-dependant transgenes in cells of the mononuclear phagocyte system labelled with cyan fluorescent protein using Csf1r-Gal4V16/UAS-ECFP double-transgenic mice. J. Leukocyte Biol, Feb; 83 (2): 430-3. (*co first authors)
- D.Phil. (Immunology). 2005 - 2009. University of Queensland, Australia.
- B.Sc. of Applied Science. 1999 - 2003. Fontys University of Applied Sciences, the Netherlands.
TRAINING AND COURSES
- 'Drug Development Essentials: Regulatory Documents for Developing Clinical Studies and Reporting Clinical Data' workshop. 2017. American Medical Writers Association.
- Copyright Overview workshop. 2017. Australian Copyright Council.
- Medicines Australia Code of Conduct - Code 101 workshop. 2016. Medicines Australia.
- 'Survival Pack for Freelance Editors' - Professional Development Program workshop. 2016. Australasian Medical Writers Association.
- Copywriting Essentials Course. 2016. Australian Writers' Centre.
- Media training for radio and TV interviews workshop. 2015. University of New South Wales.
- Introduction to Consumer Health Writing course. 2015. Health Writer Hub.
- Magazine and Newspaper Writing course. 2015. Australian Writers' Centre.
- 'Stop writing like a Scientist' Professional Development Program workshop. 2015. Australasian Medical Writers Association.
- 'How using evidence can open a new world of stories' Professional Development Program workshop. 2015. Australasian Medical Writers Association.
- Cert IV TAE40110, Training and Assessment.
- Committee member of the Australasian Medical Writers Association.
- Member of the American Medical Writers Association.
- Member of the NSW Writers' Centre.
If you're looking for unique content for your business, I'd be happy to discuss your project in detail.
You can connect with me at [email protected]
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY!
I would highly recommend Wendy. Her attention to the client's needs, flexibility and approachable attitude were great. Committed to project milestones and delivered each KPI on time.
Paul Cohen | Scientific Affairs Director Biointelect.
Wendy has been a delight to work with. Her work is of high quality, is on time and she continues to communicate with me to ensure all of my needs are met.
Christine Bannister | The Waiting Room Australia
AS SEEN IN
STAY IN TOUCH